A woven lattice top not only transforms a pie into a more sophisticated and elegant dessert, but is also very easy to create. The first time creating a lattice pie top can seem extremely daunting, but rest assured, with a little practice you will look like you have been baking pies your entire life and be producing professional looking pies in no time.
WHAT IS A LATTICE PIE TOP?
A lattice top may look like you spent hours and hours creating it, but is actually very easy to make. A lattice pie crust is a crust which appears to be woven together, creating a very sleek pattern to the top of the pie. For the best results it is important to use pie crust which has been chilled for a minimum of 30 minutes.
HOW TO WEAVE A LATTICE PIE CRUST:
1. The first step is to prepare the bottom of the pie by rolling the bottom pie crust, or using a store bought crust for the base of the pie. Then proceed to fill the pie with your filling.
2. Roll the second pie crust to approximately 12 inches in diameter.
3. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the crust into even strips. You can make the strips as thin, or think, as you desire but it is recommended to make them roughly ½ inch to ¾ inch in diameter.for more details read more reviews task manager online.
4. Using half of the sliced pie strips, place them horizontally over the pie. Be sure to leave gaps between the strips so you can see the filling – roughly ¼ inch apart.
5. Carefully weave the remaining pre-cut pie strips vertically through the horizontally placed strips.
6. Press the end of each of the pie strips firmly together, or crimp together with a fork, or by hand.
HOW TO MAKE AN UNWOVEN LATTICE PIE TOP:
If creating a woven lattice pie top seems too complicated or time consume, there is an easier way to achieve a very similar look.
If you love the idea of creating a lattice top but find yourself in a time crunch, these steps will help you accomplish a similar result with a lot less effort and still offer a stunning pie sure to impress your guests.
1. Roll out the top pie crust and cut into strips – recommended to cut the strips ½ inch to ¾ inch thick.
2. Place half of he pastry strips horizontally, leaving approximately a ½ inch to 1 inch gap between each one.
3. Place the remaining strips vertically over the horizontal strips, spacing them ½ inch to 1 inch apart.
4. Connect the strips by folding or crimping them together to create a nice sealed edge.
A lattice pie crust is an excellent way to showcase the beautiful ingredients within the pie. Few desserts are more enticing than a lattice topped pie showing off the freshly baked ingredients and aromatic filling. It is hard to ignore vibrant berries, luscious pecans, and gooey fillings as they peek through the lattice work of the pie.http://allrecipes.com/howto/making-a-lattice-top-pie-crust/